Title Of Album: Black Fire! New Spirits! Radical and Revolutionary Jazz in the USA 1957-82
Year Of Release: 2014
Label: Soul Jazz Records
Quality: 320 / FLAC
Total Time: 86:09 min
Total Size: 197 / 503 MB
1. Yusef Lateef - Chang, Chang, Chang
2. The Last Poets - It's A Trip
3. Don Cherry - Utopia and Visions
4. Richard Davis - Dealin'
5. Archie Shepp & Jeanne Lee - Blase
6. Harold McKinney & The Creative Profile - In The Moog
7. Grachan Moncur III & The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Angela's Angel
8. Creative Arts Ensemble - Flashback Of Time
9. David Lee Jr. - Second Line March
10. Lloyd McNeill & Marshall Hawkins - The Banjo Lesson
11. Tyrone Washington - Universal Spiritual Revolt
12. Pheeroan Ak Laff - Tzaddi Vau (Part 1)
13. Joe Henderson - Black Narcissus
14. Doug Hammond - Spaces and Things (Lopin'/Meno Mosso)
Soul Jazz Records' new release Black Fire! New Spirits! is a deluxe double CD (and limited triple LP) exploring deep, radical and spiritual jazz in the USA in the period 1957-1982.
In the 1960s and into the 1970s jazz music in the USA was in an almost constant state of revolution, with the music and lives of African-American artists radicalised by the advent of the civil rights movement, Black Power, and a new spiritual awakening.
For over 20 years now Soul Jazz Records have been exploring this rich area of deep and spiritual jazz music with an array of albums such as Freedom, Rhythm and Sound, Universal Sounds of America, New Thing, Soul Jazz Love Strata East and more. Soul Jazz Records have also released a steady stream of reissues of lost and classic deep jazz releases over the years from artists such as Art Ensemble of Chicago, Steve Reid, Pharaoh Sanders and others.
This new album features groundbreaking and revolutionary artists such as Don Cherry, Archie Shepp, The Last Poets and Yusef Lateef as well as many rare and deep lost tracks from lesser known artists such as Creative Artists Ensemble, Granchan Moncur, Lloyd McNeill, Tyrone Washington and others.
This album coincides with the recent 'Black Fire! New Spirits! Images of A Revolution: Radical Jazz in the USA 1960-75' book, published by Soul Jazz Books, which as well as including pioneering artists such as John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Roland Kirk and Alice Coltrane also features many of the artists included in this album.