The Internet in Everyday Life ed. by Barry Wellman, Caroline Haythornthwaite
Blackwell Publishers | 2002 | ISBN: 0631235078 0631235086 9780631235071 9780470777381 | 623 pages | PDF | 5 MB
This is the first book to systematically investigate how being online fits into people's everyday lives. Opens up a new line of inquiry into the social effects of the Internet. Focuses on how the Internet fits into everyday lives, rather than considering it as an alternate world.
Chapters are contributed by leading researchers in the area.
Studies are based on empirical data.
Talks about the reality of being online now, not hopes or fears about the future effects of the Internet.
Table of Contents
The Virtual Community in the Real World
The Internet and the Network Society, by Manuel Castells
Part I - Moving the Internet out of Cyberspace
The Internet in Everyday Life: An Introduction
Part II - The Place of the Internet in Everyday Life
1. Days and Nights on the Internet
2. The Global Villagers: Comparing Internet Users and Uses Around the World
3. Syntopia: Access, Civic Involvement, and Social Interaction on the Net
4. Digital Living: The Impact (or Otherwise) of the Internet on Everyday British Life
5. The Changing Digital Divide in Germany
6. Doing Social Science Research Online
Part III - Finding Time for the Internet
7. Internet Use, Interpersonal Relations, and Sociability: A Time Diary Study
8. The Internet and Other Uses of Time
9. Everyday Communication Patters of Heavy and Light Email Users
Part IV - The Internet in the Community
10. Capitalizing on the Net: Social Contact, Civic Engagement, and Sense of Communit
11. The Impact of Community Computer Networks on Social Capital and Community Involvement in Blacksburg
12. The Not So Global Village of Netville
13. Email, Gender, and Personal Relationships
14. Belonging in Geographic, Ethnic and Internet Spaces
Part V - The Internet at School, Work, and Home
15. Bringing the Internet Home: Adult Distance Learners and Their Internet, Home, and Work Worlds
16. Where Home is the Office: The New Form of Flexible Work
17. Kerala Connections: Will the Internet Affect Science in Developing Areas?
18. Social Support for Japanese Mothers Online and Offline
19. Experience and Trust in Online Shopping
with TOC BookMarkLinks
(Become Premium for maximum speed, resumming ability and no waiting):